Saturday 5 December 2015

Are vegans pro-life? For real?

I got to thinking, after having read a post on Facebook where someone was upset at an argument they had been having with someone else who happened to ask what their view on abortion was. Their argument ended up being a slanging match, where swallowing sperm etc became the red herring and the abortion issue ended up being the elephant in the room.

The responses that the upset vegan got was a whole lot more of sarcastic commentary that she was advised to give. Or just plain insults to deliver.

This went on for a while. In the meantime I started to wonder myself about this. And finally, I had to put my own thoughts up. I avoided the sperm/blow job aspect of it - it was getting a thorough *cough* beating without me adding to it. My comment was:

One of the most compelling and strong things that us vegans use as an argument for eating plants over meat, is the fact that plants don't have a brain or a nervous system. At 5 weeks, a foetus's brain and nervous system starts to develop. I think that this fact requires thought....

Now, either this has indeed caused thought or I have just killed the thread and everyone has scattered and re-hidden their heads in the sand.

To me, the issue DOES require thought. Surely, as vegan's, are we not pro life for all life?

It seems not. If it's inconvenient to us, then many of us compromise. Massively.

That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment